HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES PROGRAMS
Provided through Florida's State Agencies
This guide introduces consumers to health and human services programs available through various Florida state agencies. For further information on the programs, view the website and phone number listed under each Agency.
Agencies and Departments Include:
- Florida Agency for Health Care Administration
- Florida Agency for Persons with Disabilities
- Florida Attorney General
- Florida Department of Children and Families
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs
- Florida Department of Financial Services
- Florida Department of Health
- Florida Department of Management Services
- Florida Department of Veterans Affairs
- Florida Division of Emergency Management
- Florida KidCare
- Florida State Government
- Federal Government Websites
FLORIDA AGENCY FOR HEALTH CARE ADMINISTRATION (AHCA)
Phone: (888) 419-3456
- Medicaid. For information on Medicaid services, to file a Medicaid complaint, to report possible Medicaid fraud, or for referral to your local Medicaid office, call the toll-free number (888) 419-3456 . You can also find information at http://www.floridahealthfinder.gov/medicaid/florida-medicaid-general.aspx as well as AHCA.MyFlorida.com/Medicaid. To apply for Medicaid refer to the Department of Children and Families section.
- Health Care Facilities. For referral to health facility regulation or to file a complaint against a facility, or provider, call the toll-free number (888) 419-3456. For more information visit AHCA.MyFlorida.com/MCHQ.
- Health Care Data. Health care data can be viewed at FloridaHealthFinder.gov/Facility-Provider/ and FloridaHealthFinder.gov/researchers/ . To order patient level data on hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, and emergency departments, call (850) 412-3772 or click Order Data. For Medicaid data visit AHCA.MyFlorida.com/Medicaid.
- Managed Health Care (health plans). For information on managed health care regulation visit www.ahca.myflorida.com/medicaid/statewide_mc/index.shtml . If you have a complaint, first contact your health plan for their grievance process. Once you have completed that, if you are still not satisfied call (888) 419-3456 for information on further action that may be available to you.
Consumer Health Websites:
- FloridaHealthFinder.gov provides tools to compare hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, emergency rooms, hospices, health plans, physicians, and nursing homes. The site includes the A.D.A.M. Health Encyclopedia; a list of health care facilities; information on insurance, medications, seniors, medical conditions, and resources for the uninsured; consumer publications; information for health care professionals; and much more.
- MyFloridaRx.com was established by AHCA and the Office of the Attorney General. View the website to compare prices on the 150 most commonly used prescription drugs sold at pharmacies in your community.
- FHIN.net (Florida Health Information Network) provides information and resources on the Agency's initiatives for Health Information Technology and Health Information Exchange. These initiatives can help improve the quality of health care for all Floridians by helping to prevent medical errors, reduce unnecessary health care costs, increase efficiencies of care and administration, and improve patient involvement. The website also includes information and resources on e-Prescribing, a personal health record tool kit, and the Medicaid Health Information Network.
- Joshua Abbott Organ and Tissue Donor Registry. For information about organ and tissue donation, or to register as a donor, visit the website DonateLifeFlorida.com .
- Health Care Advance Directives. This pamphlet includes information on living wills, health care surrogate, Do Not Resuscitate Orders (DNRO), and Durable Power of Attorney. To view and print it, click Advance Directives.
FLORIDA AGENCY FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES (APD)
- Services. This Agency assists people with developmental disabilities and their families by identifying needed support and services. A wide range of services include support coordination, transportation, various therapies, home based services, supported employment services, medical services, and many others.
- An Application for Services is available on the APD website as well as a list of area offices.
FLORIDA ATTORNEY GENERAL (AG)
- Medicaid Fraud. The Medicaid Fraud Control Unit investigates Medicaid fraud committed by health care providers and also investigates the abuse, neglect and exploitation of the elderly, ill and disabled residents of long term care facilities like nursing homes, facilities for the mentally and physically disabled, and assisted living facilities. To report fraud or abuse, call the toll-free number (866) 966-7226.
- Victim Services. The Division of Victim Services advocates for crime victims and offers some financial help for innocent victims of crime, to help with medical costs, lost income, mental health services, and funeral expenses related to the crime. Call the Division of Victim Services' toll-free number (800) 226-6667 or (850) 414-3300.
- Consumer Protection. Includes information and actions that consumers can take related to fraud, identity theft, child safety, free credit reports, consumer complaints, and consumer alerts. View the AG website for further information.
- Contact the AG's office for information on civil rights, criminal appeals, crime prevention, and more.
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILIES (DCF)
- ACCESS Florida. To apply for Medicaid, temporary cash assistance or food assistance, or to check on the status of your claim, visit MyFlorida.com/accessflorida or call the toll-free number (866) 762-2237.
- Abuse Hot Line. To report suspected abuse, neglect or exploitation of children and elderly or disabled adults, call the toll-free number (800) 962-2873 or TDD (800) 453-5145 or visit MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs/abuse-hotline .
- Domestic Violence Hotline. To report domestic violence or to seek help, call the toll-free number (800) 500-1119 or TTY (800) 621-4202, or visit MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs/domestic-violence .
- Adoption and Foster Care. To inquire about adopting a child in Florida, call the toll-free number (800) 962-3678 or (904) 353-0679 or visit AdoptFlorida.org. For information on foster care visit FosteringFlorida.com.
- Substance Abuse includes information and referral to outpatient and residential care for drug and alcohol abuse treatment and prevention. Visit MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs/substance-abuse.
- Mental Health includes information and referral to outpatient and resident care for mental health treatment. Visit MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs/mental-health .
- Refugee Services provides resettlement assistance for refugees who have Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) documentation. Visit MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs/refugee-services .
- Contact DCF for information on childcare, adult protective services, and homelessness. Find resources and more at MyFLFamilies.com/service-programs .
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF ELDER AFFAIRS (DOEA)
Elder Care Services Helpline. For referral to local services for seniors, call the toll-free number
(800) 963-5337 or TDD (800) 955-8771. Some of the programs and
- SHINE (Serving Health Insurance Needs of Elders) provides counseling to seniors regarding health insurance, including Medicare, Medicaid, prescription drug assistance, and long-term care. Call the above number or view FloridaShine.org.
- CARES (Comprehensive Assessment and Review for Long-Term Care Services) provides assessment of seniors to see what services are needed and what programs are available to help keep a person in their own home or for placement in assisted living or in a nursing home. Call the above number or view ElderAffairs.state.fl.us/doea/cares.php.
- Other programs include the Older Americans Act (OAA), Community Care for the Elderly, Home Care for the Elderly, Emergency Home Energy Assistance for the Elderly, and the Alzheimer's disease Initiative.
- Assisted Living Facilities and Adult Family Care Homes. Find information on assisted living in Florida, including a list of facilities, funding programs, and what to look for in choosing a facility at: Elderaffairs.state.fl.us/faal/
- Long-Term Care Ombudsman Council investigates complaints and assists in resolving grievances of residents in nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and adult family care homes. Call the toll-free number (888) 831-0404 to file a complaint or to report operation of an unlicensed long-term care facility. For more information, visit Ombudsman.MyFlorida.com .
- Contact DOEA for information on memory disorder clinics, demographic profiles on elders, legal assistance, elder abuse prevention, disabilities, mental health, relocating to Florida, information for caregivers, senior employment, guardianship, volunteerism, and disaster preparedness. Find these and other programs at ElderAffairs.state.fl.us/english/programs .
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL SERVICES (DFS)
- Insurance Information. For general insurance information or for a problem with an insurance claim, call the toll-free number (877) 693-5236 or view the DFS website.
- Division of Insurance Fraud. To report insurance fraud, call the toll-free number (800) 378-0445 or view MyFloridaCFO.com/fraud .
- Storm Helpline. http://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/consumers/storm/ For questions related to insurance and damage from a hurricane, tropical storm, or tornado, call the toll-free number (800) 227-8676, TDD (800) 640-0886 .
- Workers' Compensation Employee Assistance Office assists workers who need benefit payments and services due to injury on the job. For information call the toll-free number (877) 693-5236 or visit http://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/wc/.
- Funeral and Cemetery Hotline. For questions and complaints about funeral providers, cemeteries, and pre-need contracts call the toll-free number (800) 323-2627 or view http://www.myfloridacfo.com/division/funeralcemetery/.
- Unclaimed Property. Check to see if you or a loved one has money or property that you might have forgotten about. These might be forgotten accounts in financial institutions, insurance and utility companies; securities and trust holdings; or items from a safe deposit box. Visit FLTreasureHunt.org.
- Contact DFS for information on insurance agents, insurance rates, and consumer insurance guides.
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH (DOH)
Phone: (850) 245-4444
- County Health Departments (CHD) provide primary care and personal health services, plus immunizations and disease control. Find your local office at DOH.state.fl.us/chdsitelist .
- Health Care Professionals. DOH licenses and regulates health care professionals. To read more and to find a list of health care professionals visit FLHealthSource.gov . To report someone working as a health care professional without a state license, call the DOH toll-free number (877) 425-8852.
- Complaints. To request a form to file a complaint against a health care professional call the toll-free number (877) 425-8852 or visit FLHealthSource.gov. The complaint is required to be in writing.
- Bureau of Vital Statistics. For information on official records of birth, death, marriage, and divorce in Florida call (904) 359-6900 or visit FloridaHealth.gov/certificates-and-registries/index.html .
- Children's Medical Services (CMS) provides comprehensive care to eligible children with special health care needs, including prevention and early intervention programs, as well as primary, specialty and long-term care. The Newborn Screening Program (tests all children born in Florida for genetic, metabolic and hemoglobinopathic disorders) and the Early Steps Program (serves Florida's infants and toddlers with developmental delays) are also housed in Children's Medical Services. To learn more and to find contact information, visit cms-kids.com.
- Contact DOH for information on maternal and child health; particular diseases; disease prevention and immunizations; health alerts; rural, minority, and environmental health; emergency medical services; brain and spinal cord injury; and statistics on morbidity, mortality, births, population, and other community health indicators. Find these and other topics at FloridaHealth.gov/a-z.html .
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF MANAGEMENT SERVICES (DMS)
- Division of State Group Insurance. Administers the employee benefits program for active and retired State of Florida employees and surviving spouses. For more information visit DMS.MyFlorida.com/human_resource_support/state_group_insurance or call the toll-free number (800) 226-3734 .
- Division of Retirement. Administers the Florida Retirement System Pension Plan. For more information and for contacts, visit DMS.MyFlorida.com/human_resource_support/retirement.
FLORIDA DEPARTMENT OF VETERANS' AFFAIRS (FDVA)
Phone: (727) 518-3202
- Benefits. Provides information and services related to veterans' benefits, including compensation, education, health, pension, and other benefits.
- Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities. Provides the addresses and contact information for Florida veterans' nursing homes and assisted living facilities.
- Newsletter. Provides navigation links to veterans' information and subscription access for the eFloridaVetsNews electronic newsletter.
- Contact FDVA for additional information on life insurance, death benefits, Board of Veterans' Appeals procedures, and home loans for veterans and their beneficiaries.
FLORIDA DIVISION OF EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT (FDEM)
Division of Emergency Management
- Special Needs Registry. For patients whose medical needs are not acute, but who need assistance in evacuation during natural or human-made disasters. To learn more and for county contacts, visit FloridaDisaster.org/disability/snShelterList .
- Website. The FloridaDisaster.org website includes information to prepare for a disaster, as well as information to use during and after a disaster.
Florida KidCare is a health insurance program for children under age 19, available at low or no cost depending on family income.
Florida KidCare is an interagency collaboration that includes the Agency for Health Care Administration, the Department of Children and Families, the Department of Health, and the Florida Healthy Kids Corporation.
FLORIDA STATE GOVERNMENT
For information on Florida's state agencies, visit the state government website MyFlorida.com.
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WEBSITES
For information on Medicare, Medicare supplemental insurance, the Medicare Part D prescription drug benefit, and other Medicare topics:
For information on health insurance, visit HealthCare.gov.
For information on other federal agencies, visit USA.gov.
Additional Consumer Guides Include:
- A Patient's Guide to a Hospital Stay
- Assisted Living in Florida
- End-of-Life Issues - A Practical Planning Guide
- Health Care Advance Directives
- Home Health Care in Florida
- Long-Term Care
- Nursing Home Care in Florida
- Patient Safety
- Understanding Prescription Drug Costs
This may be copied for public use. Please credit the Agency for Health Care Administration for its creation.
Information is current as of April 2016. If you have comments or suggestions, call (850) 412-3730.